Sunday, December 26, 2010

Winter storm cooks up a trifle



The way the leaves withered away in a winter storm reminded me of ...an english trifle. If the leaves stuck to ground and if no one blowed them into a neat pile...and if my front yard would scale into a circular serving dish...(lots of ifs but I do have a point) the way the leaves fall would make for a delightful, colorful trifle. Edible, probably not. But, a masterpiece to look at.

Imagine the first pink, green leaves as they fall and settle to make a base. Followed by the rubicund and then the last to leave the tree, the yellow layer. All winter colors, all perfectly shaped and colored and layered.

Now if all the 'ifs' could happen I would have something to show for it. In fact, I'd have a showcase in my front yard and would charge ticket for it. But, in my imagination where these layers settle one on top of the other...in perfect harmony, it is a spectacular sight. A feast for the eyes. The storm cooks it all and serves it cold!

No comments: