Sunday, August 23, 2009

Sad Squirrel Story…I hope not.



All animals behave in a similar manner when faced with extreme situations. All of them, including humans. They scream and they don’t care that they are screaming.

I woke up from my afternoon nap (my favorite thing to do) as I heard what I thought was a fight between one of the birds and some other ‘thing’ in my backyard. On a warm but fairly windy afternoon I squinted to see there was a squirrel making weird pecking sounds followed by a shrill. I couldn’t see the bird but it clearly sounded like one.

After some observation and much amazement I realized it was the rodent that was doing all the screaming. It had been going on for 10 mins and went on for another (at least) 20 mins. The squirrel kept making the pecking four-part sound following by a bellow. It kept pacing and what looked like...panicking. I tried to see if there was something she was after or something she was trying to save. As the squirrel kept pacing I realized it was perhaps on the other side on fence as it kept trying to move down the other end. It furiously screamed for 30 mins or more and ran up and down the length of fence. I am sure it wasn’t just to get noticed.

It didn’t run off after seeing me trying to see what the ruckus was about. From what I could figure, it was in complete panic. Not caring for bigger things around, not caring for beating sun, not caring for her (I can assume) parched throat from constant screaming, it kept on and on. I can only imagine it was for a cause that was breaking her heart. It wasn’t a cheerful whistle after all, the animal was shrieking! I was hoping it was not her kit or pup in trouble. But, from the looks of it, it was something like that. It was just on a brink of breakdown and crying for help. It was heart breaking.

I don’t know why it ended abruptly or what it looked like when it stopped. And it was a horrible feeling to not do anything. But, it did have me thinking. It had me thinking of what it might feel, how did it give up and why and what actually did happen.

But, most of all, how something close to us when out of control infuses panic in us. Helplessness is a felling too, not a nice one but it is a feeling. And we all have it. And we all pretty much react (or want to react) the same way. The tiny rodent didn’t care for anyone including itself. It kept using every breadth and every fiber of her to squeal and shriek and shoo away the critical moment. I hope it worked. I hope it stopped because it worked and not because it was not enough. And I hope no matter what happened...the squirrel is alright.

We all hope for the best, we have to. And if the worst happens, we hope we have the strength to get through it. Panicking in helpless situations is a visceral emotion. We can’t run away from it even if we want to. So, staying and screaming your heart out for help seems very reasonable to me.

No comments: